Please read carefully!
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Prerequisites with a grade of “C” or better (C- or below is not acceptable).
- Have completed all prerequisites prior to the start date of their program.
- Applicants will submit a one-page typewritten personal statement (double-spaced, 12 point font) that addresses your professional goals, healthcare related work background and volunteer experience with their application. The content is the most important part of the statement; however it will be reviewed for writing style, syntax and grammar.
- Prerequisite course work does not have to be completed at the time of application, however please be realistic about being able to complete all outstanding prerequisites before the start date of the program.
- Eligibility for all BSN programs is pending the successful completion of a drug screen and a criminal background check due five weeks before the start of the program. These are not required with the initial application.
- Eligibility for all BSN programs is pending the successful submission of all required immunizations records and completed “Fit For Practice” form. Applicants will receive more information on submitting these forms during the admissions interview if granted. These are not required with the initial application.
- Applicants must have the ability to meet all the requirements for licensure and the physical, psychological and emotional standards established by the Colorado Nurse Practice Act and the State Board of Nursing.
- Applicants must have the ability to become certified in CPR. This is not required with the initial application.
- DCN is not eligible to accept international students at this time.
- BSN applicants who appear best qualified for the program will be contacted for an application interview and testing. In state students will have the interview and be set up to return within 3 weeks to take the entrance exam. In state students will be loaned a study guide for the exam. Out of state applicants typically will buy a study guide, come to Denver for the interview and take the entrance exam the next morning.
- Applicants that have already graduated with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college do not have to take the HESI A2 entrance exam.
Important note: This program has an admissions process where students are selected based on a number of factors including personal statement, previous health care and or volunteer experience and cumulative / science GPA (acceptance is not based solely on GPA).
- You are encouraged to submit all required application materials at once, with the exception of official transcripts. Applications must be submitted by the appropriate deadline (check the red updates at the top of the Home page of the web site for possible deadline extensions). The application deadlines are:
- Submit from November 15 through January 1 each year for the following July start
- Submit from February 15 through April 1 for the following October start.
- Submit from May 15 through July 1 each year for the following January start
- Submit from August 15 through October 1 for the following April start.
These four items will be needed to apply:
- Fill out a complete application.
- Unofficial transcripts of courses taken to date (official transcripts will be required before program start date).
- A one-page typewritten personal statement (double-spaced, 12 point font) that addresses your professional goals, healthcare related work background and volunteer experience. The content is the most important part of the statement; however it will be reviewed for writing style, syntax and grammar.
- A $100.00 non-refundable application fee.
Note: If chosen for an admissions interview, potential students must request official transcripts to be mailed directly to Denver College of Nursing from all post-secondary educational institutions attended. Transcripts must be official. Please make sure all transcripts make reference to current and maiden name.
Submit transcripts materials via USPS to:
Denver College of Nursing
1401 19th Street
Denver, CO 80202
All applicants will be notified via USPS, email or phone call approximately six weeks after the closing date of the application deadline. Applicants that are chosen to continue the application process must set up an appointment within ten days of being contacted by DCN with their assigned Admission Representative. Applicants that are chosen to continue the application process are not automatically accepted into the program. Applicants must meet all application requirements (successful passing score on entrance examination etc) before being accepted.
Note: Background checks and Immunization records DO NOT have to be included in the initial application package. Deadlines for these items will be discussed with an admission representative during the chosen applicants’ interview.